Pages

Monday 12 December 2016

Shipley Canal

I am so sorry that I have been late with this challenge.  When I first saw the work of the artist I was excited and thought it right up my street.  Oh dear, I really over extended myself.  I was way too ambitious.  It has been a long haul on top of too much going on in my life but I am happy with the result - thank you for indulging me.
My piece is based on a photo I took walking along the canal on my way to a textile exhibition at Salts Mill, Saltaire, Yorkshire.  When I saw Sheeler's painting I immediately remembered the lovely walk I had.  I have always loved architecture and industrial in particular.  Must be all those lines and shapes.  The area (west of Bradford) used to be the centre of the woollen industry and the canal is lined with mills and chimneys. 
I ummed and aahed about whether to use colour, then thought of black and white like a photograph but my fabric selection had big gaps. I settled on a sepia look as it reflects the aging, decaying buildings - although there are signs of regeneration and life returning. It is fused, stitched and with a little paint.

Charles Sheeler - Amoskeag Mills
 
Shipley Canal - Yorkshire, UK

Shipley Canal as Sheeler may have painted it
 Hilary

11 comments:

  1. Hilary, your art never disappoints and this was definitely worth the wait! The lines and the colors create a composition that make me appreciate the architecture of industrial buildings. So much detail that is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth the wait Hilary. You've caught the scene perfectly and it is a good interpretation of the artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well done Hilary! As Jinnie and Venetta said, well worth the wait. Great use of analogous colours in your interpretation and very Sheeler like but not slavish. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic piece of work! The sepia colours really work, and I'm glad you used them rather than greys as it references the red bricks used in so many industrial units of the period. Love the way you have got the detail and the real sense of light playing on the building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a wonderful piece of work, and it certainly was worth waiting for, so thank you. It is a perfect interpretation of the artist's style and you should be realy proud, it is an impressive piece of work. I too am glad you used colour as it lends itself to your piece to a much greater degree than monochrome would have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary this is absolutely stunning. The blend of idea and quality of execution made this well worth the wait.
    Your monochromatic palette hits just the right note - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What more do I say but agree with all that has been said. You got there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh Hilary no wonder it took you ages to complete this . Talk about 'precision'!! This piece reflects exactly how Sheeler would have painted it . You have done a fantastic piece and I am glad of your colour choice -much more interesting than black and white would have been

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's hard to add anything new. Brilliant, stunning, so well executed! Definitely deserves wall space! I hope you enter it next year in the Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Dianne, but sadly not possible as entries have a minimum of 1 metre on any one side. Hilary

    ReplyDelete